Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Black Folks Need Help Too

So I finally got inspired. Unfortunately, I am inspired by the recent suicides that have a occurred. First Don Cornelius and then that pretty little girl that went to Bellaire High School. It really breaks my heart that even in this day and age we don't see the signs. Remember the ignorance of our people? We used to say things like, "black folks don't commit suicide or black folks don't go to therapy, we go to church." Just like you, I've heard this ignorant shit for years. If you take anything from this blog, take the fact that we are not exempt!

I especially hate the black folks don't go to therapy, we go to church thing. I believe in the healing of God as much if not more than anyone but I also believe God put people on this earth to help us. I don't know if we realize it but we are human just like any other race. It does not go against God or his word if you go and talk your feelings out with a trained professional. These people were given the skill and spiritual gift to ask you questions and probe you to talk about the weight of the wait...waiting to feel happy, waiting for love, waiting for healing, waiting for a financial breakthrough or waiting for a miracle. How many of you understand that everyone is not equipped to carry the weight alone? A therapist can help you identify the God-given tools you already have to help you deal with whatever situation you are going through.

I look at the little girl from Bellaire and I feel like I knew where she was mentally. Some people say she had so much going for herself. She was popular, she was beautiful....I don't get it. Realize that some people create a beautiful mask so you can't see the ugly sadness that is inside of them. Some of the most beautiful people are depressed and sad beyond belief. Please learn to notice the signs.
  • If you hear a person constantly saying they are tired, not necessarily physically tired but mentally-this is a sign. What they are saying is they are tired and feel like giving up forever. If you notice a constant state of hopelessness, pay attention and take action.
  • If you see someone that experiences extreme highs of happiness and extreme lows of sadness, this is a sign. They need your help.
  • If you see someone isolating themselves and not enjoying the activities they used to, pay attention - this is a sign.
  • If you see someone abusing substances such as alcohol, weed or/and prescription drugs, this is a sign. This person is attempting to numb themselves. Some people rather die than feel the impact or enormity of their feelings. Please know that overindulgence with these substances can be a sign of depression.
I am in no way a trained professional but I am a person who has struggled from depression in the past. I fortunately sought help on my own but some others may need a little encouragement. Recognize the signs and love and have the courage enough to help and save your loved ones. Remember no one is exempt.

Miracles and Blessings

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lil, the weight of the wait is real. Let him use you. Thanks sis.

    ReplyDelete